Thursday, August 19, 2010

Where have all of the honey bees gone?

My backyard-- that's where.  I know, honey bees are great for the garden and obviously our ecosystem at large, but I do wish they wouldn't congregate around our patio.  At least they're not aggressive like wasps, but I'm a bit of a wuss and it makes me nervous when they start buzzing around me and the kids. 

Our neighbors have a beautiful passion flower vine that cascades over our fence.  The bees love it.  They're always at least a dozen bees hovering around the area at any given time.


Here's a picture of the vine's fruit.  I didn't even realize these orange balls were part of the vine until a couple of months ago.  They almost look like apricots, but aren't as tasty.


Here's another favorite hangout for the bees in our yard:

This strange looking pod is part of a banana tree.  My four year old loves to yank at the leaves, which always causes a flurry of bees to fly out.  Here's a closer look inside:


I can't complain that much because the bees are doing a wonderful job.  The plants they hang around and pollinate seem to thrive.  And, so far, no one's been stung.

No comments:

Post a Comment